Health News

Student is left HOSPITALISED after using a home eyebrow tinting kit

Student is left HOSPITALISED after using an at-home eyebrow tinting kit that left her skin burned and weeping’

  • Montanna Eastwood, 19, used a kit she bought from a high-street shop 
  • She took it off after five minutes, but two hours later, her skin was burning 
  • Doctors gave her steroid tablets three days later when a cream failed to work 

A student is warning others of at-home eyebrow tinting kits when using one left her hospitalised with burns.

Montanna Eastwood, 19, used a kit she bought in a high-street shop in the hope that it would make her brows darker.

After leaving the dye on for just five minutes, Ms Eastwood, of Bideford, Devon, was initially happy with the result when she took the dye off. 

But just two hours later a rash appeared on her eyebrows which was soon burning and weeping as the hours went on.

She went to hospital in agony three days after dying them when a cream her GP gave her failed to relieve her symptoms. 

She was administered steroid tablets and antihistamine to encourage the burning to go down, but she is still in recovery.

Montanna Eastwood, 19, wanted to dye her eyebrows darker so she didn’t have to use so much makeup. She bought an at-home kit from a high-street shop

Ms Eastwood, of Devon, took off the product after five minutes, but over the next few hours was in horror to see her eyebrows and skin below burning

Ms Eastwood went to hospital where she was given steroid tablets and antihistamine

Ms Eastwood, who studies hairdressing, said: ‘I decided to dye my eyebrows at home because I just wanted them a little darker so I didn’t have to wear as much make-up to fill them in.

‘It was a kit that I hadn’t used before, but as I only left it on for five minutes I was mortified that it had done so much damage.

‘A few hours after I removed the dye, I noticed that there was a rash and it was itchy.

  • The former party animal who is now ‘allergic’ to ALCOHOL:…

    Gruesome footage captures the moment a wriggling two-inch…

    Revealed: Why you see alluring food EVERYWHERE when you’re…

    Bad news for 500,000 migraine sufferers in the UK as first…

Share this article

‘But then as the evening went on it started getting sore and started weeping with liquid.

‘It was getting unbearable by Monday so I went to doctors where they gave me some cream.

‘But by the next day I was in agony and could barely open my eyes so had to go to the hospital.

‘They gave me steroid tablets and antihistamine – the professionals have been very helpful at getting me on the road to recovery.’

Colouring products contain a variety of chemicals but phenylenediamine (PPD), commonly found in darker shade products, is the prime cause of allergic reaction to hair dye. 

Skin reactions to hair dye vary from mild to severe symptoms. But in severe reactions, it can cause a person to feel ill and have anaphylactic shock.

Despite having never used the tint before, Ms Eastwood claims that she stuck to the instructions precisely.

Ms Eastwood claims to have used the kit by the instructions, however admits she did not do a patch test because she dyed her regularly 

Ms Eastwood wants to warn others to do a patch test to avoid reactions

However, she didn’t use a patch test as she thought dying her hair regularly would mean she was safe. 

She said: ‘I only left it on for five minutes, and took it off in the way I was instructed to.

‘I didn’t do a patch test as I always dye my hair, so assumed this would be fine too.

‘I was very lucky that I didn’t lose any hair as a result of the dye – but the skin underneath and surrounding my brow is completely burned.

‘I want people to learn from what has happened to me as I wouldn’t want anyone to go through something this painful.

‘I would warn everyone to do a patch test of the dye even when you’re doing it yourself.

‘I have dyed my hair so many times and my body has never had this sort of a reaction – but it just shows that your body is constantly changing.

‘A patch test doesn’t take long at all and can save you from a lot of pain and aggravation!’ 

Ms Eastwood said she cannot remember the brand of the kit. 


Colouring products contain a variety of chemicals but phenylenediamine (PPD) is the prime cause of allergic reaction to hair dye.

It is needed for most shades of permanent colour, especially dark shades.

There is a strict limit on the concentration of PPD at a maximum of two per cent in any substance applied to the hair.

Hair dyes containing PPD are safe to use, providing safety instructions are followed.

There must be clear warnings and usage instructions on all packaging.

You’re particularly at risk if you have (or have previously had) a black henna tattoo, which often illegally contains high levels of PPD.

These temporary tattoos should be avoided because the paste often contains high levels of PPD, which can increase the risk of an allergic reaction the next time you’re exposed to it.

Always carry out a patch test before using a permanent or semi-permanent hair dye. 

Symptoms of a reaction  

If you’re mildly irritated, you may find your scalp, neck, forehead, ears or eyelids become irritated.

The skin may become red, swollen, blistered, dry, thickened or cracked and you could feel a burning sensation.

If you’re allergic to PPD, your scalp and face may feel itchy and start to swell.

PPD may also trigger feeling generally ill. The symptoms may develop hours or even days later.

A severe reaction is called anaphylactic shock.

Signs include: 

  • Itchy, raised, or red skin
  • Swollen eyes, lips, hands and feet
  • Feeling lightheaded or faint 
  • Swelling of the mouth, throat or tongue which can cause breathing and swallowing difficulties 
  • Tummy pain, vomiting 
  • Collapsing

 Source: NHS

Source: Read Full Article